Let's Get Down To Business Shall We
The Tennis Channel is showing repeats, one would suppose in order for charges to study. But it's after 9pm on the east coast and Yoshi Nishioka is about to suit up in Japan on the Challenger Tour.
Yoshi is taking on qualifier, Hiroki Moriya. Hiroki is currently #380. Yoshi is not going to be seeded at the AO25, but he's the no.1 seed here and is obviously still working on his end of the year ranking. I like Yoshi here.
Also in Japan, #167, Yuta Shimizu takes on 'lucky loser' American, Alafia Ayeni, #480. Shimizu has not won on the main tour this season. So this is a large opportunity for the 25 year old from Walnut Creek. I am cheering for Ayeni tonight.
Mattia Bellucci and Elias Ymer are also in action tonight, so it's a real unknown why Tennis Channel is ignoring the Challenger Tour right now.
Good action on the Challeger Tour tomorrow in Portugal. Andrej Martin has advanced thru qualifying and plays wild card, Francisco Rocha. Martin should push through. Damir Dzumhur, #106, takes on 29 year old wild card Frederico Silva. I would look for Damir to solidify his spot in the main draw Down Under here.
The match of the day in Portugal will be Bulgarian Adrian Andreev, #212, vs #101 Federico Coria. Coria won 8 times on the main tour this year, but I like Andreev here. Coria's been battling injury.
Tomorrow in Chile, American "Copacetic" Kovacevic, faces off against #287, Jaun Carlos Angelo. The 97th ranked Kovacevic is the top seed. Like Dzumhur, I would look for Kovacevic to wrap up his spot in the main draw in Melbourne with another win or two this season.
Greg "Lex" Gunther
"Consolidated Break by Greg Gunther"
Comments
Post a Comment