AO 2026 Men's R1 Singles Draw PICKS n TRICKS
Grand Slam Tennis is back !
We're going to roll through round one, picking every match. Consolidated Break is always the only source for this content !
If you're a real fan of the ATP, Walton vs Alacaraz is a fine R1 contest, worthy of watching with pizza and beer. Walton is Australian and talented enough to secure a set vs 'Los. 'Los wins in 4 tight sets.
Grizzly veteran Jannick Hanfmann vs Zach Zvajda is also worthy of a watch. Zack is super talented and plays within himself. If Zach can stay on tour as long as Janick, his career will be a success. But this is the kind of match you have to win if you're Jannick Hanfmann, or a wannabe Jannick Hanfmann. I think Zach proves that he's improving, peerhaps moving past wannabe status. Zvajda wins in 5.
It is unknown what was going on the other day when Seb Korda lost to Thanasi, who was using a 15 year old Babolat. But that loss does not look good when he now has to play a guy who doesn't lose very much, two time NCAA champ Mike Zheng. I like Zheng here, maybe even in straight sets. Zheng is much better than people think.
97th ranked Tristan Schoolkate needs to do us all a favor and defeat the undersized Coretin Moutet, who's mouth is oversized. I really do like Tristan in the upset here. The Aussies will score a couple.
If "Copecatic" Kovacevic can get Tommy Paul into a tennis match, he can win and begin his 2026 march in style. But hanging in points early against Paul is tough. I think this will be a great match and I would hate to miss calling this upset. But I have had enough of the top guys who don't improve. I am banking on the improvement of the younger guys who listen to coaches more. I like Aleksandar in 5.
Vukic vs Tirante is an Aussie who loses a lot at the top levels, vs a guy who wins a lot on the Challenger Tour. I like Tirante here. And I think the Challenger Tour is underrated. Tirante in 4.
Qualifier Kjaer upsets Opelka, period. I have no idea what the score might be. Kjaer is the better player, I don't care how hard a worked Opelka is or how tall.
Foki finds a way past Misolic, but it might take all night.
Bublik vs Brooksby has five sets written all over it. They have both worked very hard to get where they currently are, so it's going to be an ugly tug of war. I like Brooksby here.
Ugo Carabelli will find out if Fusco is hanging around the tour much longer. I think 2026 is Fusco's finale, and Ugo Carabelli wins here in 4.
Etcheverry vs Kecmanovic also represents a changing of the guard. Miomir has been a warrior forever, like Fusco. But forever isn't a tennis term. It's a young man's game and Etcheverry is hitting his prime. Etch in straignts.
I don't think you have to pick tomorrow's champions. You have to pick the quarterfinalists and the semifinalists. Cobolli is there to take the next step in 2026. Fery qualified, so he's got game. But in 2026, anyone not seeded better look out for the Cobolli Train. Cobolli wins in 3.
Kubler qualified. Tiafoe would have had to really attack his off-season training to turn things around. My doubts on Foe's fitness lead me to take the qualifyer here. Tiafoe did not seem to think it was a big deal that he slid down the rankings at the end of last year. Saying you're the 29th seed is not being seeded, I'm sorry ! I'm not saying Foe will need a wildcard for the U.S. Open, but I think we're in for a wild ride. Fusco, Miomir and Foe may all need work in 2027.
I spent all of 2025 pumping up Patrick Kypson. I am finished with that. I like Comensana here, maybe in 4.
Ever since Navone's World cracked the big-time, the guy cannot buy a good draw. He plays Hamad R1, and I don't think it goes well.
Beretinni vs DeMinaur in R1 is outrageous. Ok, it's actually all Beretinni's fault ! I don't like Beretinni's game. He's had chances to win majors. Now he's forever stuck in the comeback cycle and all I can think of is Fusco, Miomir and Foe. I like Alex in straights.
Is Zverev's heart really in 2026 ? I think an injury in R1 of the AO would be a perfect way for him to put his career in park, whether it's real or not. Watching Sasha is torturous. I think he, Papa Z and his brother go buy an island start an academy in 2027. The teaching pros will be Beretinni, Fusco, etc....
Popyrin vs Muller is more of the same. Muller is approaching his prime. Popyrin is approaching disappearance. Muller in straights as Popyrin heads to the Zverev Academy to feed balls.
Wildcard Jacquet was close to making the draw on his own. But Nava has rocketed all the way to no.88. I like Nava. I like his game. I like him in 5 sets here.
Bonzi facing Norrie in R1 is unfortunate for the Frenchman. Norrie is set for his last good year on tour. I like Norrie in 3.
Cerundolo, the 18th seed, vs ZZZ, is going to be a great match. I think Zhang has needed coaching and a better on court plan. I am banking he's received that plan in the off-season. Cerundolo may have seen his time at the top of the sport. I like ZZZ in 4.
Damir, just like Fusco, Beretinni, Kecmanovic and Zverev, has my upmost respect. I am a huge fan of Damir's, he never goes away. But 24 year old Draxl has a long career ahead of him. I am going to stay consistent and wish the old guy a great retirement. Draxl gets through in 3.
Cazaux vs Faria kinda comes down to Cazaux's fitness, which seems to be in question. He got by PCB b/c of retirement, then got spanked. I am going with Faria, in 4.
Both Rublev and Mevedev will fight to extend their careers. But they will both remain vulnerable. Jasper DeJong may not beat Danil, but I bet he wins a set or two. And I don't think Rublev escapes Arnaldi. I like Arnaldi in straights.
Both Halys and Tabilo could be running their own restaurant next year. I can't speak for either of these two's off-season regimen, so I am going with the more awkward server, Halys, in 5.
Kamil vs Jacob is a tough call. I am going big picture with Kamil. I think Kamil has a bigger future. I'll take Kamil M. in straight sets here.
Arthur Rinderknech found himself at the end of 2025. I think that carries him past Fabian in 3.
Learner Tien takes out Giron in 3.
Elias Ymer deserves a lot of credit. But Shevchenko is now a little older, a little smarter and he's always been better. I like "Chevy" here in straights.
Jordan Thompson has always been one of my favorite players. But he's beatbable, beat up and old. I don't think he's around in 2027. Cerundolo cruises in 3.
FAA is the 7th seed ! Wow. But he's never proven too much. Nuno could really make him work, and will. I like Nuno in 5.
In another upset, Collington takes out Musetti, who hit his ceiling last year.
Sonego is also unreliable. I like Taberner a lot. I think Carlos gets it done in 4.
Machac will set Grigor down the road to his retirement, in 3.
Mochizuki shows that Tsitsipas is also not long for the top of the sport. Mochizuki makes it to R2 in 4 sets.
Jiri Lehecka is another player who's had his chances to impress, and has not. I like the qualifier here. Gea in 4.
Stan Warwinka has his way with Laslo Djere in 3.
Same with Struff and Kopriva. Struff gets it done in 3.
Valentine Royer is one of the most dangerous players on tour. I think Fritz is in big trouble. I like Royer in 5.
Mensik gets past the ailing PCB in 3.
Sakamoto vs Jodar, two qualifiers, will see Sakamoto escape in 5.
Hurkacz is back. But Bergs never went anywhere, and has improved. I like Zizou in 4.
What if it was the off-season of Griekspoor vs the off-season of Ethan Quinn, because that's what it is here. I like Ethan in 3.
Same with Naka vs Botic. Naka in straights. It's about the off-season.
RBA still looks good. But again, I think 2026 is the last we'll see of him. I like JC Shang here a lot. JC in 3.
Atmane survives the qualifier in straights.
Pedro will be outclassed by Nole. Novak in straights.
Shelton will lose to Ugo in 5.
Sweeny takes out La Monf in 4.
Manarino vs Rinky has five sets written all over it. But I think Rinky suprises and gets done in 4.
Vecherot is another dangerous player. I think he moves through against the qualifier Damm. Vacherot in 4.
Bu overcomes Shapovalov. Bu keeps improving. Denis keeps getting older. Bu in 4. Shapo is retired in 2027.
Cilic will overecome the talented Altmaier. Cilic has another good year in his arm. Marin in 4.
Munar also has one more strong year in his arm. He escapes Svrcina in 4.
Ruud doesn't struggle with Belucci. He wins in 3.
Michelson beats Karen in 4.
Basavareddy gets it done vs Aussie wildcard O'connell.
Pericard serves past Baez, but in 5.
Darderi uses his offseason to escape Garin in 3.
Fonseca beats The Spizz in 4.
Nardi goes down to Wu in 5.
For Duckworth to need a wildcard, he would have had to have been hurt, I guess ? It's confusing. I like Prizmic in 3.
Jannick Sinner gets in done vs Gaston in straights.
There it is, the entire R1 !!!!
Consolidated Break wishes you a happy 2026 AO !!!!
Comments
Post a Comment