French Open 2026 Day 3
Popyrin v Svajda is a perfect way for day 3 to begin in Paris. Sinner and Alcaraz may get the most attention, but we have real human beings out here trying to pay the bills. Popyrin is the elder stateman here. He's survived and had a career. When Alexei hangs em up, he probably doesn't have to get a real job. Svajda is not quite there. If it ends here, he will probably feed balls to snotheads. The clay would seem to be a friend to Zvajda, but he's a California kid. Popyrin also favors a faster court. This should be interesting. I like Zvajda here, he needs the money.
Griekspoor v Arnaldi should be a shootout. If Matteo is healthy, I like his chances to take out a seed. But Talon has seemed to mature. The FO is the ultimate test for those who have matured on tour. We shall see. I am sticking with Arnaldi here.
Tabilo v Kamil is a big time R1 matchup. This should be a packed court. I think Tabilo has just gotten better and better. He may even be peaking right now. I think Tabilo works his magic on Kamil today.
One of the toughest calls of the day is Cilic v Kouame. Kouame is an up and coming Frenchie, Cilic is the old master making another round. As good as Cilic has played over the last year, I believe in Kouame and think he can survive a couple of Cilic forehands before making the old guy run. I'll take the Frenchman.
Walton v Meddy would be more interesting to write about had Meddy not gotten on the Silver Streak. He's just cruising right now. A couple years ago when Consolidated Break was on Twitter, I used to ask when Meddy was going to hand it up. I thought he was cooked years ago. But he has proven me wrong, at least for this season. I would have picked Walton here had Meddy not won so much recently.
Landaluce v Prado is a case of beware of the qualifier. Heck, this is beware of the qualifier with four names. Can Landaluce survive ? I think he can.
Vacherot v Faurel is the 16th seed v a qualifier, but I think it is a much tighter matchup then that. Velntin is a great story, but I am unsure he has a sustainable game. He may be the worst 16th seed in FO history. I am going to take Faurel because I just wrote that.
Triple Z v Facundo Diaz will hopefully not be a clinic for ZZZ on the dirt. But I fear that it will. I am taking Facundo.
Kopriva v Moutet is an interesting matchup. I am taking Vit Kopriva over the home hope because I just don't trust Moutet's game. I bet if we watch a video of Moutet playing a match at age 13, he probably plays the exact same way now. That's not watchable for me, then or now.
Norrie v Vallejo will see Norrie continue his comeback to the higher heights of the sport.
Tsitsipas v Muller should be a long one. This is a match between #79 and #129. It's about time we realize that as well as he's playing, Stef is struggling to stay in the main draw at majors like Marcos Giron. I am guessing that Muller has been dealing with injurues because he's no #129. This time next year, I think Muller will be the higher ranked player. I'll take Muller here, providing he doesn't come out with body parts wrapped !'
Garin v Tien will be trickier than expected for the higher seed here. Tien is riding high, but he matches up here with a savy, hunry veteran who's making his living surviving R1 at majors. I am unsure if Tien can put Christian away point to point. I can see Christian putting up a fight here. Tien has played a lot of tennis recently, I like Garin here in an insane 5 setter.
Baez v Burruchaga is the Battle of Argentina. Roman Andres is good for a set here.
Bublik v Struff is similar to Tien v Garin. Struff is making a living suruving R1 at majors, so this makes this more interesting then one may assume. Bublik on the other hand is fearful of losing R1 at a major ever at this point. The pressure is going both ways as this begins. I think it's real, real hot and Bublik sort of implodes. It has been a while. I will take Struff in the upset.
Fearnley v Cerundolo will see Jacod thinking he is in every set for about 6 games, which is a lot.
FAA v Altmaier will be muy interesante. FAA just isn't himself on the dirt. The German will be more at home then the guy with the French name. I like Ole Danny Boy here.
Quinn v Comensana will see Ethan doing the impossible. An American will defeat an Argentine at the French.
Ofner v Darderi is a Battle of Where Ya Been v Haven't you played a lot lately. Ofner has been wandering the Challenger Tour, seemingly forever. Whereas the rest of us have been learning how to correctly say Darderi. Ofner was always supposed to be up in the bigs. I may only be hoping he's finally healthy, but I am taking Ofner.
Faria v Shapo is pretty much two old guys at this point. Shapo has the money, the wife, the career and that makes him a target for anyone lacking any of that. I think Shapo escapes this one, but doesn't get too far at the FO26.
Sinner v Tabur.....
That's it for Day 3 y'all...... enjoy the Dirt Show !
Lex Luthor / Shorecrat
Comments
Post a Comment